Are you thinking about making the switch from PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4 but don’t want to lose your saved data from your old console ? Transferring data from your PS3 to PS4 is not only possible, it’s also incredibly easy ! Read this article to find out how.
What Can Be Transferred ?
Before we get into the steps of transferring your data, it’s important to understand what can and cannot be transferred between the two consoles. Fortunately, Sony has made it so that almost all of your saved game data can be transferred, including :
- Game progress — All your saved levels, characters, and items will transfer over.
- Downloadable content — Any DLC (downloadable content) purchased on the PS3 will carry over to the PS4 as long as it is compatible with both systems.
- Saved games — Your saves will move over to the new system without any problems.
Unfortunately, some things cannot be transferred, such as trophies, friends lists, and messages. Keep this in mind before beginning the process.
How To Transfer Data
The process of transferring data from one system to the next is very simple, provided you have the right tools. Here are the steps you need to take :
- Connect a USB storage device to your PS3. This could be an external hard drive or a USB flash drive, though a hard drive is preferred since it gives you more storage space.
- Go to the “Settings” menu on your PS3, then go to “System Settings.” Select “Backup Utility” and select “Back Up.” You’ll be asked where you want to save the backup; choose the USB device you connected earlier.
- Wait for the backup to finish. This may take some time depending on how much data you’re transferring.
- Disconnect the USB device from your PS3 and connect it to your PS4. Go to the same “Backup Utility” menu on your PS4 and select “Restore.” Choose the USB device when prompted.
- Wait for the restore process to finish. Once it does, you’re done ! Your data has been successfully transferred.
And that’s it ! Your data should now be available on your PS4. Be aware, however, that you won’t be able to use the same account on both systems at the same time. If you plan on switching back and forth between the two, make sure to create separate accounts for each system.
Transferring data from your PS3 to PS4 is a relatively simple task, provided you have the right tools. Just make sure you understand what can and cannot be transferred before you begin. With that said, happy gaming !